East Village’s first ever festive craft market will ‘make’ your Christmas
- Christmas ‘Makers Market’ open to the public for three weekends from 5th – 20th December
- Pop-up space hosting best new brands and makers in London – including workshops available to book NOW
- FREE event – open weekends Saturdays 11am-6pm and Sundays 11am-5pm
Head to East Village E20 this December for a festive pop-up shopping experience with a difference as the neighbourhood hosts its first ever Christmas Makers Market at East Village E20, with FREE entry. East Village has teamed up with emerging lifestyle brand Earl of East London to host the market, following their ongoing success as curators of local craftsmanship.
Coming together under the ‘Movers + Makers’ collective, Earl of East London has brought together London artisans to create the Christmas Makers Market at East Village E20 to celebrate the best new brands and crafts that the capital has to offer. The shopping space will curate beautiful hand-crafted goods under one roof and is set to be the perfect destination for those in search of unique Christmas gifts for their loved ones.
Christmas shoppers will be able to buy quality leather goods and accessories from BRIGGS + SHEARS, delicate hand-crafted jewellery from Inger Studio and beautiful modern calligraphy kits and stationary treats from London’s finest calligraphers, Lamplighter London, as well as individual ceramic pieces from Blue Guy Pottery and indoor planters and terrariums with Ro Co.
Newly confirmed traders include: Signorelli, Arma Glass, The Floury, Forest-andFound, London Tea Club, Amy Ilic Woven Textiles, Guy Mason, The Pickle House, We Are Here Coffee, BROTHER, Daniela Rubino Designs and Charles of Lloyd.
The makers will also showcase their talents with a series of workshops so visitors can try their hand at making their own personalised Christmas gifts or even pick up a new hobby. Makers will demonstrate the fundamental skills of a craft with classes ranging from copper wreath-making to mini calligraphy workshops and how to handcraft leather items – perfect for handmade Christmas gifts.
The Christmas Market will be open at weekends from the 5th – 20th December on Saturdays from 11am to 6pm and Sundays from 11am to 5pm.
With an array of unique new brands and makers on show, craft classes and festive activities, East Village is the perfect place to get into the festive spirit!
The following workshops are now available to be booked via: https://christmasmakersmarket.eventbrite.co.uk:
- Saturday 5th December, 2pm-3.30pm, Briggs + Shears Leather Key Fob
- Sunday 6th December, 12pm-1pm, Earl of East London Soy Wax Candle Making Workshop
- Thursday 10th December, 6.30pm-8.30pm, Ro Co Geometric Copper Wreath Workshop
- Saturday 12th December, 12pm-1.30pm, Briggs + Shears Leather Key Fob
- Saturday 12th December, drop-in, Lamplighter London’s Luxury Christmas Card Workshop
- Saturday 12th December, 3pm-6pm, Forest-and-Found Spoon Carving Workshop
- Sunday 13th December, 11am-1pm, Amy Ilic Weaving Workshop
- Sunday 13th December, 2pm-4pm, Blue Guy Pottery Glazing Workshop
- Sunday 13th December, 3pm-6pm, Forest-and-Found Spoon Carving Workshop
- Saturday 19th December, 2pm-3pm, Introduction to Fine Teas by London Tea Club
- Sunday 20th December, 12pm-1pm, Earl of East London Soy Wax Candle Making Workshop
- Sunday 20th December, 2pm-3pm, Introduction to Fine Teas by London Tea Club
- Sunday 20th December, 4pm-5pm, Plant your own terrarium workshop with Arma Glass
East Village E20 is fast-becoming known as a growing neighbourhood for independent shops and restaurants. After a visit to the Christmas Makers Market, drop into these new retailers this December.
Restaurants and cafés
- Mama Lan – Beijing street food
- Darkhorse Bar & Restaurant – Modern European dining and drinking
- Tina, We Salute You – speciality coffee and homemade food
- Signorelli – Italian bakery and pasticceria
- Firezza – gourmet pizza delivery
- La Gelatiera – specialist gelato café
- Neighbourhood – family friendly gasto pub Retailers
- Bottle Apostle – independent wine merchant
- Olive Loves Alfie – family lifestyle store
- Pavé Velo – specialist bike store Hair and beauty
- Regency Beauty – bespoke beauty, spa and nail treatments
- Blue Tit – award winning London hairdressers and stylists
Top-line information for the market
Event name: Christmas Makers Market at East Village E20
Event summary: This December East Village E20 hosts a free-entry festive pop-up shopping experience with a difference, the Christmas Makers Market at East Village E20. Curated by emerging lifestyle brand Earl of East London the market will feature London makers and craftspeople including Signorelli, BRIGGS + SHEARS, Inger Studio, Lamplighter London, Blue Guy Pottery, Ro Co, Arma Glass, The Floury, Forest-andFound, London Tea Club, Amy Ilic Woven Textiles, Guy Mason, The Pickle House, We Are Here Coffee, BROTHER, Daniela Rubino Designs and Charles of Lloyd.
With an array of unique new brands and makers on show, hand-crafted gifts to buy and maker workshops to attend, East Village is the perfect place to get into the festive spirit!
Location: 15-19 Penny Brookes Street, East Village, E20 1DA
Dates: Three weekends in December (5th and 6th, 12th and 13th, 19th and 20th)
Times: Saturdays – 11am to 6pm / Sundays – 11am to 5pm
Nearest Tubes: Stratford International DLR/Stratford
Website: www.eastvillagelondon.co.uk and https://christmasmakersmarket. eventbrite.co.uk for workshop bookings.
About East Village:
• East Village is London’s newest neighbourhood and first Olympic legacy village on the doorstep of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
• Set in 67 acres of breath-taking parkland, East Village includes more than 25 acres of mature parklands, new parks and open space
• Positioned next to the world-class sporting venues of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, East Village residents have easy access to a further 560 acres of parkland, waterways, and nature trails connected by paths for jogging, cycling and walking
• One of the best connected neighbourhoods in London with Stratford International and Stratford Regional stations offering links to key locations such as the West End in 20 minutes, St Pancras International in seven minutes (by High Speed 1), Canary Wharf in nine minutes and London airports within an hour
• East Village is a thriving place for residents and visitors, offering a world-class education campus Chobham Academy for students aged 3-18, a state-of-the-art health centre and plans for an eclectic mix of 30 shops, restaurants, cafés and bars
• Homes at East Village are available through two landlords: – Get Living London – is the residential owner of East Village managing a variety of homes for private rent – Triathlon Homes – manage the affordable tenures at East Village, comprising social rent, intermediate rent and shared ownership
• Visit eastvillagelondon.co.uk or call 020 3714 8080 to find out more
• Twitter: @eastvillageLDN
Earl of East London
Bringing a touch of the US West Coast to London’s East, Earl of East London launched their lifestyle brand and store in Hackney’s Netil Market. Created by visionaries Paul Firmin and Niko Dafkos, Earl of East London began as a joint creative outlet. After travelling in the West Coast of America they both quickly fell in love with the independent lifestyle stores, the laidback vibe and the impeccable curation that really stood out. With a passion for design and interiors it was clear they needed to create something of their own and in 2014 they did; Earl of East London was born.
Earl of East London began as a weekly market stall, bringing together well-curated vintage, cacti and succulents and hard to find, beautiful products from independent brands from the US. After just six months they were approached by Netil Market to take residency in the ever-developing market space and with the transformation of a shipping container for their retail space, they are the resident hotspot for unique and exclusive, LA-inspired home-ware, candles, plants and vintage curiosities including their own line of candles.
The Earl of East brand is formed on 3 brand pillars:
• Curate – bringing together a considered mix of beautiful affordable products from independents
• Create – making products for the modern generation that will be regarded as future heritage
• Collaborate – working with other makers to create something together that neither of them could create alone
• A fourth element Community is integral to everything they do and an important part in their growth and development
Having built up a reputation curating beautiful items and local craftsmanship and collaboration an integral part of the Earl of East London vision, they developed their own line of products with local movers and makers under the Earl of East London name. Their first collaboration was with a local ceramicist Blue Guy Pottery, together creating two candles under the name Wanderlust. The candles came in two scents with corresponding vessels – lost and found. The demand was clear and the collaboration sold within two hours. Since, Earl of East London has launched their own line of hand poured candles in three signature scents, Wildflower, Greenhouse and Smoke & Musk. What started out as a hobby is now a fledging brand, building up presence within the UK. Watch this space…
Earl of East London is available at www.earlofeastlondon.com and independent stockists throughout the UK.
Amy Ilic Woven Textiles
Amy Ilic is a woven textiles designer who sells hand woven, hand dyed and handmade fashion and home accessories. She uses colour as a way to add play and interest to life through fashion and home accessories, creating pieces that are a balance of simple timeless design and playful, graphic personality statements. Her range includes wall hangings, handwoven camera straps and indigo dyed clutches.
Arma Glass is a company that designs and makes original glass pieces. Originally specialising in terrariums, they now offer glass hangers, wall pieces and mirrors. The pride themselves in combining glass and metal with natural objects such as mini succulents, feathers and dried leaves to create handmade, organic quality vessels.
Blue Guy Pottery
Blue Guy is a ceramist and architect based in London. Inspired by her love for design and crafts, she uses natural materials and bold colours to produce highly functional modern home items. All designs are handmade by Thidaa in her East London studio
BRIGGS + SHEARS
BRIGGS + SHEARS is a London based leather goods and accessories company, born from a love of simple, functional design and a passion for traditional craftsmanship.
The trademark aesthetic of the brand is minimal understated design, for men and women alike. At BRIGGS + SHEARS we truly celebrate the unique and individual quality of leather and believe the beauty of the material only gets better with age and use.
Each product is made using the highest quality vegetable tanned leather, skillfully crafted using hand held tools in house at the BRIGGS + SHEARS studio.
BROTHER is a pop-up shop and communication project that focuses on curating and re-defining pre-worn and preowned items so that they can become suitable for everyone. Building on this theme further we combine a carefully curated fashion edit with hard to find books and magazines (all supporting the theme) along with a selection of handmade leather accessories and homewares. This Christmas will also see the introduction of some limited edition paper goods and sundries.
Charles of Lloyd
Charles of Lloyd was founded in East London in 2013 by textile designer Charlotte Lloyd. With a passion for pattern and an abiding love of making, Charlotte set up the studio with the intention of creating a series of fun textile designs that would inspire positivity and playfulness in whatever environment they appeared. Every product – ranging from palm-tree-patterned cushions to tropically inspired totes – is developed and assembled in London by Charlotte and her partner seamstress using a combination of screen-printing by hand and digital production methods.
Charlotte lives in Hackney and works from her Waterloo studio splitting her time between her work as a designer and screenprinter and studying as an Upholsterer.
Designs Daniela Rubino is a London based artist who designs and hand makes products and artworks using concrete and metal. The choice of these materials is based on their high compressive strength, sustainability and, of course, industrial aesthetics.
Forest-and-Found Set up by a woodworker and quilter in 2014, Forest-and-Found combines traditional techniques with contemporary design. They create products that celebrate craftsmanship in the modern home; revealing a direct relationship with the natural world through each hand carved spoon and naturally dyed quilt.
Guy Morgan Apothecary specialises in organic natural skincare. Specifically products designed to look after your skin, hair and body, using natural organic ingredients, sustainably sourced. All products are handmade in Clapton, London, by Guy, meaning meticulous care is put into every batch. The Apothecary was created by Guy as a personal mission years ago to find a natural alternative to great skin, after having tried numerous chemical solutions available off the shelf.
Inspired by textures and the cleanliness of minimalistic design, Inger Studio aim to create effortless, delicate, and feminine jewellery that will be held onto dearly. Each piece of jewellery is hand carved out of wax and slowly brought to life in my studio. Handmade things hold a direct link to the human heart and there’s something truly sentimental and personal about owning an object that has been made with time and care.
Lamplighter London is a modern calligraphy, decorative lettering and illustration studio, based in East London. We specialise in bespoke, unique and beautiful ideas for occasions and events; combining hand drawn elements with strong graphic design and high quality finishes, from London’s finest printers and specialists.
London Tea Club
London Tea Club is a new subscription tea service, which delivers green, white, oolong, puerh, and herbal teas monthly.
Born in a humble kitchen in Stoke Newington, The Floury brings together the best quality ingredients with seasonal fruits, homemade vanilla extracts, and edible flowers to make delicious cakes. At Christmas they make delicious mince piece with filo pastry, spiced apple Christmas puddings, chocolate truffles and lots of other tasty festive treats!
The Pickle House
The Pickle House was established at the end of 2013 in Hackney, London. Its very own Original Pickle Juice is the perfect chaser to a shot of whiskey – an unlikely pairing known as a Pickleback. Rumoured to have originated in Brooklyn, New York, it’s finally made its way across the Atlantic. The Pickle House spent many months developing our Original Pickle Juice recipe until the blend went so smoothly with whiskey it had to be shared. As well as being great with whiskey, there’s more to pickle juice than a Pickleback. Try some in a Bloody Mary to give it an extra kick, or on its own after a workout to boost your body’s electrolytes.
Ro Co is a pair of designers and maker of things, inspired by handmade beauty and the wide wonders of nature. Based in a little conservatory in North London, we create indoor gardener DIY kits, handmade planters and hold maker workshops for people to bring more green into their living spaces. Ro Co’s products are imaginative in that people are encouraged to become the ‘creator’ and play a part in the final design, perhaps treasuring the object all the more. They believe that human element is often where a feeling of authenticity comes from.
Pasticceria and bakery Signorelli opened its doors in East Village this summer, offering sweet and savoury dishes, brilliant breads and excellent coffee. All recipes are low in salt and sugar for the health conscious while tasting magnifico, with an emphasis put on reflecting the style and flavour of northern Italy. Signorelli is situated on Victory Parade next to the Portlands in East Village.
We Are Here Coffee
We Are Here Coffee serve speciality Allpress coffee out of a very special tuk-tukturned-commuter coffee cart, Fred, who’s come all the way from India to east London. We Are Here Coffee was set up in September 2015 to serve the commuters of Leyton.