East Village hosts tennis-themed summer fair on Sunday 12 July
- Activities include tennis-related games, a vintage tennis photo booth and professional juggler, John Racket-Throw
- British summer-themed food and drink on offer
- Big screen will show Wimbledon men’s final live from 2pm
On Sunday 12 July 2015, the former London 2012 Athletes’ Village will host its East Village E20 Fair, a tennis-themed summer fair and the second of its summer events in the thriving new neighbourhood. As Wimbledon comes to a close, the southern end of Victory Park will be transformed into Murray Mount, E20 style, complete with tennis games, live entertainment and a host of British food and drink.
East Village has teamed up with its neighbourhood restaurants and popular street food vans to serve up a range of special edition Wimbledon products including Firezza’s Wimbledon-pizza, The Market Grill’s decadent Surf and Turf wraps and Shrimpy’s British summertime-inspired fish and chips.
For those with a sweet tooth, The Floury will serve afternoon tea, La Gelatiera will launch its special Prosecco and Eton Mess Ice Creams, whilst Mallow and Marsh will host a ‘smore station’ with mouthwatering Wimbledon-themed combinations. Participants will be able to quench their thirst with a refreshing Pimm’s from the popup Pimm’s cart or a cooling beer from the Hop Stuff Brewery, whilst for the more adventurous Bottle Apostle will serve Limoncello Fizz with vodka-watermelon slices.
The East Village E20 Fair will also include a whole range of tennis-related activities. Neighbours can participate in four different challenges across the court; ‘Grunt Match’ umpired air tennis with sound effects, ‘Ace’ where participants hit tennis balls at previous Wimbledon winners (dressed scarecrows), as well as a tennis obstacle course and a tennis ball relay race.
Guest performer, John Racket-Throw, will entertain the crowd with his show-stopping tricks, from racket juggling and ball can manipulation to giant tennis racket balancing and giant tennis ball spinning. Participants can also re-enact their winning moment on Centre Court in the Wimbledon vintage photo booth. A stylist will be on hand to help participants select the perfect outfit to recreate their favourite Wimbledon champ, using a variety of tennis gear, wigs and moustaches.
Meanwhile, East Londoners unable to get tickets for the men’s singles final can sit back and relax on bean bags and watch the match live on a giant screen. East Village will get into the atmosphere with sporting decor – including a special strawberries and cream ‘love swing’ couples seat – and provide its very own compere to comment on the highlyanticipated match.
The Wimbledon-themed East Village E20 Fair is part of Get Living London’s programme of FREE summer events as it transforms into the perfect summertime destination.
Event: East Village E20 Fair
Date: Sunday 12 July 2015
Time: 12 – 6pm
Location: East Village E20 (southern end of Victory Park)
Nearest Tube: Stratford International DLR or Stratford
Tickets: FREE and not ticketed
More information: www.eastvillagelondon.co.uk and 020 3714 8080
About East Village
• East Village is London’s newest neighbourhood and first Olympic legacy village on the doorstep of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
• Set in 67 acres of breath-taking parkland, East Village includes more than 25 acres of mature parklands, new parks and open space
• Positioned next to the world-class sporting venues of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, East Village residents have easy access to a further 560 acres of parkland, waterways, and nature trails connected by paths for jogging, cycling and walking
• One of the best connected neighbourhoods in London with Stratford International and Stratford Regional stations offering links to key locations such as the West End in 20 minutes, St Pancras International in seven minutes (by High Speed 1), Canary Wharf in nine minutes and London airports within an hour
• East Village is a thriving place for residents and visitors, offering a world-class education campus Chobham Academy for students aged 3-18, a state-of-the-art health centre and plans for an eclectic mix of 30 shops, restaurants, cafés and bars
• Homes at East Village are available through two landlords: – Get Living London – is the residential owner of East Village managing a variety of homes for private rent – Triathlon Homes – manage the affordable tenures at East Village, comprising social rent, intermediate rent and shared ownership
Visit eastvillagelondon.co.uk or call 020 3714 8080 to find out more.